Thursday, June 25, 2009

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

Now, I'm sure there's been more than enough blogs and dedications to MJ but I have to do one of my own...and share a story that only 2 other people know, for one of them was actually there with me.

In December 2001, I wanted to go see Jingle Ball at the Staples Center in LA. My girl, Audrey, was a big fan of LFO so I wanted to get tickets for us so we could go. I was still unsure if I wanted to go but I decided whatever, it's a good concert with a lot of good artists (it was also the first time I've seen Alicia Keys perform and Shakira).

KIIS-FM announced Michael Jackson was going to make a special guest appearance and immediately I was like, 'I'm there!' The last time I saw Michael Jackson in concert or in a concert setting was when he was performing with The Jacksons....yeah, I was a wee Crystal. I barely remember that concert, needless to say.

But anyhoo, shoot it to December 2001. Audrey and I go to the concert and we're enjoying ourselves. I remember seeing Sugar Ray, who were awesome and Toya, another R&B singer at the time. Bt when MJ came out to get his Lifetime Achievement award...I mean...I could see why everyone cried and fainted around him. I felt myself tearing up. I was in shock....'There he is! There he is!' I kept saying to Audrey.

Anyone who has been in my car knows that Off the Wall is in constant rotation. Just recently before I left for San Francisco, I was going through the CD section at Best Buy looking for another MJ CD to purchase. It was either Thriller or one of the Jacksons CDs. I didn't get either...now I'm wishing I did. The CDs are probably sold out by now.

Michael Jack (slang term) shaped my career. If I was in a bad mood, I put on PYT. If I wanted to work out, I put on Can't Let Her Get Away. I loved Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal. And I remember just recently, me and Max were jammin' to Billie Jean at a nightclub. As a little girl, I wore the Michael Jackson shirt as my brothers were the respective jackets.

Michael Jack...you'll be missed. You were a living legend and icon while you were alive and now moreso that you're gone. RIP Mike....you're amazing!

No comments: