Monday, March 23, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?

So I have a friend...who's...let's just say, a tad bit boy crazy. She's nearing 30 and is feeling very maternal...clock is starting to tick, she's feeling pressure from her family to settle down and get married.

Now without completely telling her business, there have been a few mishaps along the way: broken engagements, poor men choices, poor life choices, etc. But the feeling of wanting to be with one person and settling down has never wavered.

This is where it gets tricky.

Earlier today, we chatted about life and love. She then asked me a hypothetical question. When someone answers their phone, she responds with, 'Hey you!'--a pretty cheerful greeting to all. Apparently, the new Dick (and I mean that in every sense) doesn't like that and asked her to change her greeting when she's calling him.

What?

Now, my friend (let's just call her Becky) and her Dick have been seeing each other on and off for about a year. I personally don't like Dick for the simple reason he's done some pretty shady things to Becky, who by the way, knows everything and for some reason bypasses all of it.

So when Becky told me about his request, my first reaction was laughter. Was this Dick serious? They're not "together" (in her words, they're just having fun...which makes me wonder, if he was the one who's having the fun and she's going along with it...)

In my honest opinion, they're nothing more than just glorified fuck buddies. But this fool wants her to greet him differently? And what's worse is that Becky seriously considered it. Now she's not greeting him with curse words or Bible-thumping him. Instead, she's greeting him the same way she greets everyone else.

And Dick has a problem with that? Won't call her his girlfriend; doesn't mind her getting him off; but has a problem with being treated like everyone else? What in the logic hell?

It brings me to a discussion: At what point as women, are we so desperate for male companionship that any bullshit treatment will suffice?

Now I was once a Becky. I've done a lot of things that I can look back and ask, 'What the fuck was I thinking??' On the same tip, I'm glad I learned because if it wasn't for me going through it when I was younger, I'll still be making the same mistakes as I'm now older.

That being said, a woman should only change for herself. If a guy is complaining about some random bullshit on how you're answering the phone when he calls, you might want to ask if he's worth eating the cookie.

Personally, I wouldn't want to date someone who nitpicks on some randomness. A guy should like you for who you are. It shouldn't turn off just because you're not sucking his dick at the moment.

No comments: